- Illegal mining will be strictly punishable in Himachal Pradesh soon.
- During the last financial year, 8500 cases of illegal mining were detected in Himachal Pradesh and compounding fees of Rs 4.50 crore was imposed on them. Similarly, during 2015-16 financial year, 9303 number of cases of illegal mining were detected and compounding fees to the tune of Rs. 4.01 crore was imposed on them.
- Senior officials from Industries department said that government is committed to check illegal mining and it has been made incumbent upon the concerned departments to file FIRs in case of damage to properties of Public Works Department, Irrigation and Public Health and Revenue Department etc
- A new Minor Mineral Rules had been notified to streamline the process of exploiting minor minerals apart from providing deterrent penalties of prosecution and fine up-to Rs 50,000 for various violations.
- US, Israel withdraws from UNESCO
- The US and its ally Israel have announced they will withdraw from the United Nations Scientific and Cultural Organization, accusing the body of “anti-Israel bias”.
- The US would establish an “observer mission” to replace its representation at the Paris-based agency.
- The US was angered in 2011 when UNESCO members granted Palestine full membership of the body, despite opposition from its ally Israel.
Gk bit – UNESCO
- UNESCO’s headquarters is in Paris.
- This organization of the United Nations has been working since 1946.
- It is known for marking world heritage.
- Irina Bokova is the secretary General of UNESCO.
· SpaceX completes successful launch of recycled rocket Falcon 9
- SpaceX launched its recycled rocket Falcon 9 and landed it on a drone ship in the Atlantic Ocean.
- The main aims is to provide television coverage and communications capabilities to North America, Hawaii, Mexico and the Caribbean.
- It is a “dual-mission” satellite for the US-based operator EchoStar and Luxembourg-based operator SES.
- This is the 18th successful landing of Falcon 9 rocket first stage.
- The Falcon 9’s first stage had previously flown on a cargo mission to the International Space Station in February 2017.
- India 100th on global hunger index
- India has a “serious” hunger problem and ranks 100th out of 119 countries on the global hunger index with a GHI score of 31.4, behind North Korea, Bangladesh and Iraq but ahead of Pakistan, according to a report.
- The country’s serious hunger level is driven by high child malnutrition and underlines need for stronger commitment to the social sector, the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) said in its report.
- India stood at 97th position in last year’s rankings.
- Central African Republic ranked last.
- Chile, Cuba and Turkey have a GHI score of less than 5 and have ranked as the best nations on the index.
· Amazon and Microsoft Ties up to Launch Deep Learning Platform
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Microsoft have teamed up to launch an open-source and deep learning interface ‘Gluon‘ that will help developers to deploy machine learning models across several platforms.
- The interface would give developers a place where they can prototype, build, train and deploy machine learning models.
- INS Satpura, Kadmatt participates in Passage Exercise in Japan
- Indian Naval Ships Satpura and Kadmatt participated in Passage Exercise (PASSEX)with Japanese Marine Self Defence Force (JMSDF) held at Sasebo, Japan.
- The ships are participating in the exercise in pursuance of India’s Act East Policy and demonstration of India’s commitment to peace and stability.
- The visit of these ships is part India’s initiatives to strengthen long-standing, mutually supportive and strong relationship between Japan and India.
- Mastercard Launched its First Innovation Centre in India
- US-based fintech company Mastercard has announced the launch of its global research and development arm Mastercard Labs in Pune, India.
- After Singapore, this will be the second Mastercard Labs in Asia-Pacific, and ninth in the world.
- The initiative aims to bring and harness new commerce, payment and technology ideas at a fast pace in the country.
- Launch of Mobile Health App `MedWatch’ By the Indian Air Force
- On the occasion of its 85th anniversary, the Indian Air Force has launched an innovative mobile health App named `MedWatch’ in keeping with the Prime Minister’s vision of ‘Digital India’.
- ‘MedWatch’, available on the IAF’s AFCEL network, comprises a host of features that will provide authentic health information to all IAF personnel.
- A Reminder Tool to enable timely immunization for the children of all Air Warriors is an important component of the App. This will directly enable ‘Mission Indradhanush’ of the Govt of India.
- ‘MedWatch’, the first mobile health app in the three Armed Services, was launched by Air Chief Marshal BS Dhanoa, Chief of the Air Staff, during the Air Force Commanders’ Conference at New Delhi on 11 Oct 17.
- Yuvraj Singh Named Laureus’ First Indian Ambassador
- Indian Cricketer Yuvraj Singhwas announced as the Laureus’ first Brand Ambassador.
- The left-hander becomes Laureus’ first Indian ambassador and joins a host of cricket legends in the Laureus Family, including Indian Academy members Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid and Kapil Dev.
- HPPCS Mains Tests and Notes Program
- HPPCS Prelims Exam - Test Series and Notes Program
- HPPCS Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- HPPCS Detailed Complete Prelims Notes