- State Plan size pegged at Rs 6,300 cr
- The State Plan size for the fiscal 2018-19 has been proposed for Rs. 6,300 crore which is Rs 600 crore more than last year, with an increase of 10.51 per cent.
- This was stated by Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur while presiding over the priority meeting with MLAs from Solan, Sirmaur and Shimla districts held here today. The Chief Minister said that henceforth the MLAs could forward their recommendations for getting works done by the Public Works (PWD) and Irrigation and Public Health (IPH) departments up to Rs 90 crore. Earlier, the ceiling was Rs 80 crore.
- The Chief Minister expressed gratitude to the Union Government for sanctioning Rs 1,351 crore for the setting up of All-India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) at Kothipura in Bilaspur district. He also thanked the Union Government for the PGI satellite centre at Una, costing around Rs 450 crore.
- “The 300-bed PGI satellite centre in Una will help cater to patients of the state at their doorstep and in turn will reduce the rush of patients at the PGI, Chandigarh,” he remarked.
- He said the process of hiring consultancy services for preparation of detailed project reports (DPRs) of 69 national highways sanctioned by the Union Ministry of Road Surface Transport would be completed by March 31 this year. He directed all the departments to take suitable steps to ensure implementation of Centrally sponsored schemes.
- Thakur said the state government would take up the issue of enhancing the powers given to the state for undertaking development works on land from the present one hectare to five hectares. He said the issue would be taken up with the Union Ministry for Forest and Environment Ministry under Forest Conservation Act (FCA).
- He said improvement in air connectivity under UDAN, a regional connectivity scheme phase-I and II by the Prime Minister and strengthening of road network in the state, would help in promoting tourism. The issue pertaining to running of seaplanes had also been taken up with the Union Government.
- The Chief Minister assured that his government was committed to the socio-economic uplifting of the state and believed in “Sabka Saath, Sabka Vikas.” He said the government intended to work on the lines of sustainable development goals framework and achieve the development targets by 2022.
- He also made it clear that the government would try to initiate measures to curtail the unproductive expenditure in view of the poor financial health of the state. He also stressed the need for organic farming so that the farmers and horticulturists benefit from various the schemes.
- The Chief Minister directed all the departments to get the works of MLAs done on priority and get them sanctioned under the on-going Centrally sponsored schemes.
- Hamid elected Bangladesh president for second term
- Abdul Hamid has been elected president of Bangladesh for a second consecutive term.
- Hamid has been elected president as no one else is running in the upcoming presidential election.
- Hamid took office on April 24, 2013, and his five-year term expires on April 23.
- According to article 123 of the constitution, presidential election should be held between 90 and 60 days before the five-year term expires.
· China to pick 5,000 movie theaters for propaganda screenings
- China plans to select 5,000 movie theaters to screen propaganda films and will boost their box offices with group sales, discounted tickets and another financial backing.
- China, the world’s second-biggest film market, saw movie ticket sales rise 13.5 percent last year to over $8.6 billion. Chinese-made movies accounted for 54 percent of ticket sales, with baldly nationalistic action thriller “Wolf Warrior 2” topping the box office.
· Tanzania withdraws from UN refugee programme
- Tanzania announced its withdrawal of United Nation’s“Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework” citing security reasons and lack of funds.
- Tanzania considered a safe haven for refugees, particularly from conflict-hit Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Burundi.
- Earlier, United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) granting Citizenship for some refugees and their applications.
· International Conference on Unani Medicine held in New Delhi.
- The International Conference on Unani Medicinewas held in New Delhi.
- It was inaugurated by Minister of State (IC) for Ministry of Development of Northern Pics.
- It was organized by Central Council for Research in Unani Medicine (CCRUM), under Ministry of AYUSH is organizing as part of the celebration of Unani Day.
- The Various national level eminent personalities and stakeholders from academia, industry, regulators, and researchers in the field of Unani Medicine participant.
· World’s First Autonomous Pods Unveiled In Dubai
- Dubai’s Roads and Transport Authority (RTA)launched the first tests of the world’s first autonomous pods at the World Government Summit.
- The autonomous pods are launched in cooperation with Next Future Transportation (US-Based)and are designed to travel short and medium distances in dedicated lanes.
- They can be coupled together in as little 15 seconds or detached depending on the riders’ destination in five seconds.
- Each pod is fitted with cameras and electromechanical technologies to carry out the coupling and detaching, which can be activated while the pod is in motion.
· World’s Tallest Hotel ‘Gevora’ Opens In Dubai
- The Gevora Hotel in Dubai, developed by the Al Attar Group now become the “world’s tallest hotel”.
- It stands 356 meters and 53 centimeters tall.
- It is one meter taller than the previous holder of the title, the JW Marriott Marquis, in the same city.
- The title has been confirmed by Guinness Book of World Records.
- National Productivity Day and Week
- The National Productivity Council is observing National Productivity Day on February 12, and National Productivity Week till 18th February.
- It is the 60th Anniversary of the National Productivity Council and is being celebrated as Diamond Jubilee Year.
- “Industry 4.0 Leapfrog Opportunity for India ” has been selected as the theme for the National Productivity Week -2018.
- India among Top Ten Nations in the World in Terms of Forest Area
- Strongly emphasising the increasingly green credentials of the country, Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Dr. Harsh Vardhan has said that India has shown an increasing trend in the forest and tree cover, in comparison to the global trend of decreasing forest cover during the last decade.
- Releasing the India State of Forest Report (ISFR) 2017, Dr. Harsh Vardhan pointed out that India ranks among the top ten countries of the world in terms of forest area, despite the fact that none of the other 9 countries has a population density of more than 150 persons per sq km, compared to India, which has a population density of 382 persons per sq km.
- “India is ranked 10th in the world, with 24.4% of land area under forest and tree cover, even though it accounts for 2.4 % of the world surface area and sustains the needs of 17 % of human and 18 % livestock population”, the Minister said.
- Harsh Vardhan added that as per the latest FAO report, India is placed 8th in the list of Top Ten nations reporting the greatest annual net gain in forest area.
· Nitin Gadkari Releases Indias 1st Ever Highway Capacity Manual
- The Minister of Road Transport & Highways Mr Nitin Gadkari released India’s first ever Highway Capacity Manual (HCM)in New Delhi.
- The manual is also known as Indo-HCM and it has been developed by CSIR – CRRI on the basis of an extensive, country-wide study of the traffic characteristics on different categories of roads like a single lane, two-lane, multi-lane urban roads, and the associated intersections on these roads.
· Twelth International Conference On CSR Held In Bengaluru
- The Institute Of Directors organized it’s 12th International Conferenceon Corporate Social Responsibility in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- In the conference, the Prestigious Golden Peacock Award 2017were presented.
- The leadership award for philanthropy and social change was presented to Mr. Vineet Nayar, Founder Chairman, Sampark Foundation.
- HPPCS Mains Tests and Notes Program
- HPPCS Prelims Exam - Test Series and Notes Program
- HPPCS Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- HPPCS Detailed Complete Prelims Notes