. The Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi (Amendment) Bill, 2021 was introduced in Lok Sabha on 15 March 2021.The Bill intends to amend certain provisions of the Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi (GNCTD) Act, 1991. The Principal Act provides a framework for the functioning of the Legislative Assembly and the government of the National Capital Territory (NCT) of Delhi.
Main Provisions of the Amendment Bill
- The Bill provides that the expression “Government” referred to in any law made by the Legislative Assembly shall mean Lieutenant Governor (L-G).
- The Principal Act 1991 requires the L-G to reserve certain Bills passed by the Legislative Assembly for the consideration of the President. These Bills are those- (a) which may diminish the powers of the High Court of Delhi, (b) which the President may direct to be reserved, (c) dealing with the salaries and allowances of the Speaker, Deputy Speaker, and members of the Assembly and the Ministers
- The Principal Act 1991 allows the Legislative Assembly to make Rules to regulate the procedure and conduct of business in the Assembly. The Amendment Bill 2021 provides that such Rules must be consistent with the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the Lok Sabha.
The amendments will have far-reaching implications — beyond just the AAP-vs-BJP tussle. By making it mandatory for the elected government to route all its files through the L-G, the amendments will essentially take away the government’s autonomy and the dream for full statehood for the state, which each political party — BJP, Congress and AAP have promised the electorate at various times.[/lockercat]HPPCS Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for HPPCS Prelims and HPPCS Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by HPPCS Notes are as follows:-
- HPPCS Mains Tests and Notes Program
- HPPCS Prelims Exam - Test Series and Notes Program
- HPPCS Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- HPPCS Detailed Complete Prelims Notes