- Himachal Pradesh frames rehab policy for drug addicts
- At a time when increased usage of synthetic drug has left the state government and high court concerned, the Himachal Pradesh government, on its part, has framed a draft state policy for rehabilitation of drug addicts in the hill state.
- While supply of drugs and substance in the state has gone up, no survey has been conducted to indicate the extent and pattern of drug addiction in Himachal Pradesh. However, as per data collected from various de-addiction-cum-rehabilitation centres functioning across the state, alcohol, cannabis, opium and heroin are the major drugs consumed.
- To increase the community participation and public cooperation in drug demand reduction, it has been suggested in the draft policy that the panchayati raj department would include a session on ill effects of drug abuse and legal provisions to check drugs and substances abuse in the training modules of all the representatives of PRIs.
- The Panchayati Raj Act will be amended to the effect that office bearers of the panchayats in which cannabis or poppy is found and allowed to be grown shall disqualified while cash awards would be provided to those panchayats that have done outstanding work in destroying cannabis or psychotropic substances in their areas.
- Amazon clinches top spot in the world’s most valuable brand ranking
- US retail giant Amazon has moved past hi-tech titans Apple and Google to become the world’s most valuable brand.
- According to Kantar’s 2019 100 Top BrandZ report, the brand value of Amazon surged by 52 per cent to $315 billion.
- Amazon jumped from third to first place to eclipse Google – which slid from first to third place with Apple holding on to the second spot.
- Priyanka Chopra to be honoured with humanitarian award by UNICEF
- Indian actress Priyanka Chopra with the Danny Kaye Humanitarian Award at the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)Snowflake Ball in the month of December.
The event will be held on December 3 in New York.
She is a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador.
- She will raise her voice for children’s education.
- India to raise awareness against child welfare. She is also to improve the education, health and safety of girl child in India.
- India’s FDI Inflows during the five fiscal years of the Modi Govt hit to $42 billions
- India turned out to be the sub region’s largest recipient receiving foreign direct investments worth $42 billion in 2018.
- The investment in India billion with strong inflows in manufacturing, communication and financial services.
- According to the report, FDI inflows have increased by 3.5% to $54 billion.
India attracted over 77% of the total foreign direct investments ultimately landed up to the South Asian region.
- The growth in India in cross-border merger and acquisitions (M&As) reached $33 billion in 2018 from $23 billion a year ago.
- Bangladesh and Sri Lanka rose to a record level, to $3.6 billion and USD 1.6 billion, respectively, while Pakistan witnessed a 27% decline in investment to USD 2.4 billion, the report read.
- Several countries adopted policy measures to promote and facilitate investment with India
- To amend the model concession agreement on public-private partnerships in the port sector.
- The report highlighted that of the 5,400 special economic zones (SEZs) in the world, more than 4,000 are in developing countries in Asia.
- China topped the list at 2,543 followed by Philippines (528),
- India with 373, Turkey – 102, Thailand – 74 Korea 47, Malaysia – 45.
- Sahitya Akademi announces Bal Sahitya Puraskar and Yuva Puraskar 2019
- Sahitya Akademi has selected 22 writers for the Sahitya Akademi Bal Sahitya Puraskar 2019 and 23 writers for Yuva Puraskar 2019.
- The awardees have been selected on the basis of recommendations made by the Jury comprising of three members each in the concerned language, in accordance with the rules and procedure laid down for the purpose.
- The Award in the form of a casket containing an engraved copper-plaque and a cheque of Rs.50,000/- will be presented to the awardees at a special function.
- Akshaya Patra was awarded the BBC World Service Global Champion Award
- The Bengaluru-based NGOAkshaya Patra has been awarded the BBC World Service Global Champion Award for the programme.The award is presented at the BBC Food and Farming Awards in Bristol, London. The award recognises a project or person who is changing the way the world produces, processes, consumes or thinks about food for the better.
- Akshaya Patra was selected by an international panel of judges from nominations sent in by the World Service audience around the world. Other projects on the shortlist included UK charity WRAP, and Food 4 Education.
- Akshaya Patra is anon-profit organisation which was established on 2000. The organisation runs one of the world’s largest school meals project in India.
· Sub-groups of backward castes may get ‘neutral’ tags
ð The Rohini Commission is likely to prefer “neutral” tags for each group which steer clear of suggesting social progress or backwardness to prevent heartburn or backlash within OBC sections.
ð The Rohini panel may prefer the sub-categories crafted by Andhra Pradesh, where OBCs are divided into “A, B, C, D, E”, or Karnataka which sub-groups of OBCs named as “1, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B”.
ð Designed to ensure “equitable distribution of reservation benefits”, sub-categorisation entails division of the OBC list into groups, with 27% Mandal reservation apportioned among them in proportion to their share of the total backward caste population.
ð As a consequence, the “forwards among backwards”, who are seen to disproportionately corner the quota benefits, would be eligible for only one portion of the 27% quantum contrary to the present scenario when their share is unlimited.
The rest of the 27% quota would be the dedicated sub-quota for “most backward” groups which would help them avoid competing with “forwards among backwards”.
[/lockercat]HPPCS Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for HPPCS Prelims and HPPCS Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by HPPCS Notes are as follows:-
- HPPCS Mains Tests and Notes Program
- HPPCS Prelims Exam - Test Series and Notes Program
- HPPCS Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- HPPCS Detailed Complete Prelims Notes